“If you are a pre-born child in South Hampton Roads, your life is in great jeopardy.”
– Toby DeBause, President
Every day more than 3,000 hearts stop beating in America because of abortion.
In South Hampton Roads, 6,076 abortions were performed in 2013.1
- For every three babies born, one will lose its life to an abortion.
- There are more lives lost to abortion than any other cause of death.
-About 61% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children.2
- In South Hampton Roads, more than half of all abortions were performed on black women.3
In 1973, two U.S. Supreme Court decisions – Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton – radically changed the legal landscape of American abortion law. The combined effect of the rulings required abortion to be:
- Legal for any reason, regardless of age.
- Legal for any reason during the first six months of pregnancy, and for virtually any reason thereafter.4
1 Virginia Department of Health, ITOP Report 2013, accessed December 4, 2015.
2 Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States, The Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI), 2014, accessed December4, 2015.
3 Virginia Department of Health, ITOP Report, 2013, accessed December 4, 2015.
4 “Status of Abortion Laws in the United States”, 2010 Sanctity of Human Life Guide, Focus on the Family, p. 28.